“Why do I feel empty?”
This Facebook post caught my attention especially since the person who asked that question was Sarah Geronimo, a showbiz personality I truly admire.
I feel Sarah.
During one of my Toastmasters speeches, I shared an experience when I felt so empty as if nothing mattered in my life anymore. There was no joy, no excitement, no enthusiasm. There was nothing wrong in my life. In fact, I was doing pretty well. I had speaking engagements. I’ve written books. I had great relationships with my family, friends, and the people around me.
During those days, I’d ask God everyday, “Lord, why do I feel empty?”
That ‘feeling’ lingered for two weeks. After two weeks, I was back to my normal, happy and inspired self again.
I didn’t know why I felt that “emptiness” for two weeks. But one thing’s for sure. God allowed me to experience that special feeling so I’ll have a deeper understanding on what other people go thru and share some insights thru writing and speaking.
If you or someone you know of is experiencing some form of emptiness or even depression, don’t ever give up. Know that this is only temporary. It’s a phase.There is a bright future ahead of you. Keep the faith.
When I gave a talk for Grade 1-12 students last year, I posed this question: “What topic would you like me to talk about in my next talk?”
Their answer surprised me. About 50% of them wrote: Depression.
So last night, my brother and I talked about depression in our weekly Facebook LIVE show Write Conversations with Sha and March.
Disclaimer: This is a sensitive topic. We are not professional counselors or psychologists but we’re here to share what we know about the topic.
My brother shared his perspective as a registered nurse and a triathlete and I shared my perspective as someone who suffered from the feeling of emptiness for two weeks.
In our 30-minute show, we shared 5 tips on how to deal with depression.
Here were the five tips:
1. Talk to someone you trust. It could be a friend, a family member, a priest or a psychologist.
2. Exercise. When you exercise, you release happy hormones.
3. Have a Gratitude Journal.
4. Join a community.
5. Talk to God.
You can watch the 30-minute show here.
Please feel free to share the video as well.
I wish you success and happiness!
P.S. When you feel sad and down, always remember these truths: You are enough. You are worthy. You are loved.
Sha Nacino is an international keynote speaker on happiness, gratitude, and productivity. She is also a corporate trainer and an author of 11 books. Sha is recognized as Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM), the highest award given by Toastmasters International to its members worldwide. Sha is a certified Jack Canfield Trainer on Success Principles. If you wish to invite Sha to speak in your company or organisation, simply email email@example.com. If you need help writing your book, visit www.shanacino.com/book
Get this FREE eBook!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Latest posts by Sha Nacino, Inspirational Speaker and Prolific Author (see all)
- Five Things I Loved About the Asia Professional Speakers Convention - May 15, 2018
- “Why Do I Feel Empty?” - May 3, 2018
- Thank You for Attending the Mission Happiness Conference 2018! - April 24, 2018
- Tired of Always Borrowing Money? 31,591 views | 2 comments | posted on February 12, 2013
- What the 3 Idiots Taught Me 27,597 views | 38 comments | posted on October 4, 2011
- Why Failing is Good 24,574 views | 5 comments | posted on October 30, 2011
- Do You Want to Become an Author? 19,343 views | 2 comments | posted on March 24, 2012
- Free eBook 17,002 views | 107 comments | posted on August 18, 2012